Breaking News
recent

Tourists among 18 killed in apparent attack on Bangkok shrine

Tourists among 18 killed in apparent attack on Bangkok shrine
Bangkok, Thailand - A bomb explosion that appeared to target a popular Hindu shrine in central Bangkok killed at least 18 people on Monday and injured 117 more, according to the Erawan Medical Emergency Center.
Twelve victims died at the scene, and six others died later in the hospital, officials said.
The hospital's death toll conflicted with that of several media outlets, including The Nation television and Channel 7, both of which reported 27 deaths.
Somyot said later, though, that the suspicious items were not bombs.
"They are just garbage bags," he said. "Our (explosives) team is still working at the site, and we will close down the traffic around the area until noon tomorrow."
The first bomb -- a 3-kilogram "improvised device" -- was the only one, police said.
Steve Herman, a correspondent and bureau chief for Voice of America, said he thought it was thunder when the explosion first ripped through central Bangkok.
He saw six bodies under sheets inside the shrine and one outside of it, he told.
Another reporter, The New York Times' Thomas Fuller, said body parts were scattered around the area. He estimated that several hundred military and police officials, some of them using dogs, were scouring the scene for more bombs.
Maj. Gen. Sriwara Ransibrahmanakul told  that security was being tightened throughout the city. Asked how many security forces had been deployed, he replied, "As much as we have."
TamilPlanet

TamilPlanet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.